- Sunday, April 3, 2011

Our Soul, A Force [2011]


Our Soul, A Force is my latest album, actually a re-recorded one, the original was written and recorded in 2003.

When I started writing/recording the original it began as a concept album about religion/spirituality (a recurring theme from someone who's not a believer), the thing is that halfway through the album I was bored with the theme and wrote completely different songs including an outtake from "Destination: Saturn" and a version of "I Wanna Be Your Dog" which included a "Real Cool Time" finale, the album had another song which I dismissed here because I re-recorded it for "Debris" and that was "Take Him By The Hand".


I played guitars, basses, drums and keyboards. The drums' sound is compressed so they are a little more subtle than on other albums.

The cover is from a picture I took of Bahia Honda Key, FL in August 2008.


1. QUESTIONS
This song is one of my favorites from the album, because it contains (keyboard) cello, soft guitars and later heavy guitars, I added a little something to the intro but apart from that the song is a copy of the original.

2. NO ANSWERS
Another favorite, an instrumental piece which retains only the bass line from the original, I think this is a really cool guitar instrumental.

3. SPIRITUAL MAN, PART 2
I was really proud of the original but I found that the sound was poor as well as the drums, now I like it so much more.

4. KASHIMBO

 I wanted to have a little instrumental in between each of the songs and I did most of them with an eastern feel. I played the guitars and bass with a percussion loop on the original, now for this one I played drums and sounds better.

5. OUR SOUL, A FORCE
The original was an eight minute song which I edited because of poor playing and ended with a 1:48 second little piece, for this version I didn't bothered with the eight minutes version and went straight for the less than 2 minutes version.

6. TOKKON
Another little eastern instrumental.

7. QUESTIONS (REPRISE)
The faster version of Questions. It was my son's favorite song when he was a toddler, he even tried to sing it.

8. SIHAYA
Another eastern instrumental. It is actually the original song mixed with new drums and some additional bass. You can notice the Les Paul guitar I used to record with, that guitar had an incredible presence.

9. ENTER THE WIZARD
An instrumental, this time with organs.

10. WE WERE FRIENDS
Here is were the album goes into another direction lyrically. The origins of the music for this song come from watching the The Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" movie in the late 90's and me grabbing a guitar trying to emulate their sound from that concert which to me is incredible to this day. My song changed later and became the original and now it has changed some more it even sounds a little funky.

11. MY STAR
A rock n' roll song with lyrics written for a good friend, this song was written in 1997 for one of my first cassette albums so this one is the third version I've recorded.

12. AGHUA
 Another eastern instrumental. I did the same for this one as SIHAYA, were I played drums and bass and then mixed them with the original song.

13. NOT ALIVE
Straight rock music, not much to say about it.

14. DEAD
 Originally DEAD was the coda for NOT ALIVE, I've included piano for this version.

15. PSALM 2000
Another eastern instrumental.

16. SATURN (FLASHBACK)
 It was an outtake written and recorded for "Destination: Saturn", for the original version of "Our Soul, A Force" I mixed drums with it. Now I re-recorded the whole song and the sound is so much better.

17. EVIL EYES
This piece was recorded in 1997, the original was a 7:30 minutes wah fest.
For the original version of "Our Soul, A Force" I mixed drums to it, in fact it was the first time I used computer drums.
I lost the original 7:30 minutes version years ago, and only retain a shorter 2:20 minutes version which I had included on one of those cassette albums I mentioned before.
So I recorded bass and drums and mixed them with the 2:20 minutes version.

ENJOY!!!

NEW!!! LINK [Including artwork]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvngme1aoln5v0t/SoulForce.rar?dl=0

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this re-recording. It was kind of weird listening to it for the first time since I hadn't played the original in years and could not recall how the album sounded. I partially recognized some songs, and other songs not at all, but was thrilled to hear My Star, one of my favorites! The new recording of the album is a huge improvement and a pleasure to listen to.

The 2003 original including the extended version of Eveli Eyes (Wide Open) can be found here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TXGTBHIZ

Best wishes to you and your family!
Paul

Leonel Garcia said...

Thanks Paul