- Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Second Hand Living [2016]


Second Hand Living is my latest album (mostly) recorded between july 2015 and july 2016.

I'm finding myself with less time to record new music each year. I think that if were to quit my job I would spend most of my time in a room recording music, a hermit, in fact I would use a pseudonym: The Hermit (just kidding!!!).

Well, the artwork is an edited picture taken from my first trip to Mexico, it was edited for both the front and the back cover.

The recording process was mostly started right after I finished the "Past Master, Future Servant" album with the exception of "Earth" and "Burned Our Wings In The Sun" which were recorded during the genesis of the "Slow Death" album and "Show Me The Way" which was recorded during the recordings of "Past Master" I just didn't include the Frampton classic in the latter album because I already had a cover of "Femme Fatale" and didn't want to have another one (I already seemed lazy enough waiting two years to record a new album).

I really like the album and am enjoying it a lot on the way to work each day.

The songs:

1. TO BURN YOUR DESIRE
When I recorded this song I was listening a lot to the Flamin' Groovies' Flamingo album and was influenced by it on several songs on this album, although it ended up sounding more like early 80' new wave (which I really looove) on some of the songs because I added "cheesy" 80's synths to most of them.

2. ETERNAL DOMAIN
This was an all acoustic song which ended up on sounding like early 80's new wave.

3. EARTH
One of the "Slow Death" outtakes, I loved it but didn't know how to finish it, it didn't have the clavinet and organ that you hear on the finished album. The roots reggae with dark sound is really good and I wish I could always do reggae this way but for me is not that easy.

4. THESE CHAINS
This was one of the Groovies' inspired songs and ended up sounding more like Jet (the band).

5. WASTED YEARS
This song was recorded and written last week, I wanted to use the Lindsey Buckingham muted guitar sound which seemed cocaine fueled on the "Tusk" album which is another story.

6. BURNED OUR WINGS IN THE SUN
This is the other song from the "Slow Death" sessions, another reggae song, in fact that was going to be a reggae album but I started working on other songs and put aside the concept. I like it but I find "Earth" closer to my heart, you can tell that I'm a Doors and Country Joe & The Fish fan by this preference.

7. EVERYBODY'S IN IT
Another Groovies' inspired song and like "These Chains" ended up sound like another thing altogether, this time I find it closer to early 80's hair metal (which I really haaate).

8. SECOND HAND LIVING
This is another Groovies' inspired song but just like before ended up sounding totally different which is a good thing because I don't want to copy a band or album.

9. SHOW ME THE WAY
My favorite Peter Frampton song, I remember from my childhood the strange sounding guitar, I like the original and not so much the "Comes Alive" version, in fact I think that the live album destroyed his career and it is one of the first albums that started that hate relationship of punk and classic rock acts because of it's huge success, that's sad because he was a great pop artist and right after that album he was never taken seriously again.

10. AFTER THE STARS HAVE ALL DIED
One of my favorites, it was an all acoustic song without drums and synths but ended up sounding great (imho).

11. LOOK INTO THE OTHER SIDE
Another all acoustic song that ended sounding totally different from what it started.

 There you have it, please enjoy and feel free to throw in your comments.


LINK [Including Artwork]: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37711895/SecondHandLiving.zip

No comments: