- Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Spectrum [2010]


Spectrum is my latest album and was written and recorded between October 2009 and February 2010, The music was recorded entirely in October 2009 but the lyrics were written mostly in between January and February.


I think this is my most accomplished album to date and that doesn't mean my favorite. Accomplished because it contains most of the genres I play with a great flow. Not my favorite because I'm in love with "The Eyelild Of God.." and I will have to work hard to out perform that one which is a prog-indie album very different from this one. I think "Spectrum" finishes what I started with "Slavery Ends With Art" which covers a lot of ground.


I'm very proud because I played lots of keyboards and for the first time I think I played it well and doesn't sound as bad as my early experiments.


1. THE DOOR TO DELIGHTS
A tribute to 1967-68 psych with perfect science fiction lyrics and a great intro to this fine album.

2. LOST
My favorite from the album has very little guitars (rare in my songs) and lots of keyboards, the reverb rhodes is great as well as a synth solo inspired by the Moog 70's. It's a slow paced mellow trippy song.

3. REARVIEW MIRROR
Has some classic church organ and a nice guitar solo, sort of classic R&B from the late 60's done my way.

4. MY BEST FRIEND (SONG FOR PETER)
The third song I've written about my friend Peter Mercado who committed suicide while we were in high school. I regret that I kind of drifted from his side, he was an honest and sincere person. I think he would have enjoyed this album and I dedicate it to him.
It starts as a Motown tune and ends with a softer piano based coda.

5. SPECTRUM [INCLUDING "LOST (REPRISE)"]
A suite and includes some soft parts, a driving guitar solo and an instrumental reprise of "Lost" with an organ wah solo.

6. REMAINS OF ANCIENT TROY

This one is a neo-psych-indie tune with strange lyrics.

7. LITTLE BOY SURVIVOR [INCLUDING "FAT MAN RADIATION"]
The longest song of the album about a survivor of the Hiroshima Bomb and at the end includes a track called "Fat Man Radiation" from the Nagasaki Bomb.
Am I crazy?, I could be but somebody should diagnose it first.

8. I'M STILL ALIVENo this one is not about the same survivor I think this one's crazier than the one mentioned before, you figure it out. Unplugged sound with an electric solo.

9. INFINITE SADNESS [INSTRUMENTAL]
A piano, bass and drums instrumental.

10. I'LL SET YOU FREE
An indie song with an interesting middle section.

11. SEVEN DAYS
This is a plain rock song with a better middle section than the one on "I'll Set You Free".

There you go, download and feel FREE to comment, I will not bite or get mad if you don't like my voice or playing, I'll just try to do it better on the next one and believe me there will be MORE....



NEW LINK!!! [Including Artwork]: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37711895/Spectrum.rar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been listening a lot to this album lately. It is full of very good music. Black Dust with its laid back tempo and excellent guitar is a real treat. Glide Divine You Satisfying Spectrum is another favorite, however, nothing on this album can compare to the majestic sound of the keyboards in The Battle Of The Ants vs The Sun. The last solo is some of the best music I have ever listened to. I also like how the song is structured with the guitar and two keyboard solos.

The liner notes are very much appreciated, they add a lot of insight to the music.

Thank you for this album. Best wishes to you and your family!
Paul

Leonel Garcia said...

Hi Paul,

Good to read your review, I've missed your words.

I'm glad you're still listening.

I'm finishing the vocals of a re-recorded album: "OUR SOUL, A FORCE" so check back soon for it.

Thanks.